Thursday, January 1, 2015

Top Six EP - white label pressing

White label pressings from the world of budget records are a pretty rare thing. I've only ever come across a couple, both from Avenue (one an LP see here and the other an EP see here).

Over Christmas I was lucky to obtain another, not from Avenue this time, but from the Top Six EP series of 1963-67. This one is EP number 8, released around October 1964:


Of course, you can't tell what it is by looking at the scan. I have the advantage of being able to read the matrix numbers in the dead wax - SIX 8A-1M and SIX 8B-1M. Try as I might, I couldn't get a decent image of them, so you'll just have to trust me!

The tracks are as follows:

Side 1

  • Do Wah Diddy Diddy
  • Twelve Steps To Love
  • You Really Got Me

Side 2

  • Have I The Right?
  • I Won't Forget You
  • Promise You'll Tell Her

This EP, the eighth in the series, also comprised half of the same label's "Top 12" volume 4, which was the last installment of their short-lived covers album series - the first such series known from the UK. Here's the sleeve of the LP:


Now, I don't actually have my own copy of the standard EP pressing, so I can't show you the proper labels. But by a stroke of luck, the fantastic website Forgotten Vinyl just recently posted up this EP, complete with sound clips so you can hear it online! I have taken the liberty of borrowing their label scans, and please pay them a visit and check out not only this EP, but the rest of them on the site. CLICK HERE. They really are doing a fantastic job of preserving some of these "forgotten" discs.




Oh yes - and a Happy New Year to you all !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment